to pin fire
Støckel: Casimir, Paris, over takes in 1825 the patents of Roux and Picherau and develops in 1837 the famous pin fire cartridge.
his son Eugène Gabriel, Paris and Liège starts in 1854 the construction of the Lefaucheux revolver. His often used trade mark is LF and later EL,
Chris Curtis: System Lefaucheux,
Müller: Geschichte der europäischen Militärrevolver: Schweden model 1863, a model 1854 with no finger hook, but wider and heavier hammer head for better ignition,
model 1863 with
official coat of arms of Sweden
accepted single action Lefaucheux made 12mm pin fire
revolver, serial # 59864, 6¼" round barrel with typical high front sight and
inscribed E. LEFAUCHEUX BRTÉ. S.G.D.G. A PARIS.
the left side of the frame below the drum is written: INVENTION E.LEFAUCHEUX BRÉVETÉ
S.G.D.G. A PARIS. The
frame was made out of two parts which came together by the cylinder axle / base
pin and a screw in front of the trigger. An ejector rod was mounted on the right
side of the barrel. Plain wooden grips with lanyard ring.
1863 the Swedish Artillery bought 1065 revolvers from Eugene Lefaucheux in Paris. They were of the same model as the French revolvers. The Swedish Navy bought some 890 revolvers also. Most of these revolvers for the artillery were never issued. From those 1065 revolvers for the artillery only a small number had been issued to the rtillery officers. 1872 a General Order regulated that shooting with revolver was part of the annual exercise for the officers of the artillery. 30 revolvers “of Lefaucheaux model should be issued to each Artillery regiment and sharp ammunition with an amount of 20 cartridges per man” should be issued. At an General inventory inspection 1876 only three revolvers were found at Svea Artillery Regiment. It is evident that the major part of the model 1863 revolvers remained in supply depot 1863 - 1880 according to Josef Alm (Swedish Army Museum 1953).
The scarce revolver is showing some use, but fine condition and in good working order. $1,750.
Bréveté "B.S.G.D.G." stands for Patent without government guarantee, was in France a legal notice releasing the State from any liability on the proper functioning of effective panted device. This reference was established by the law of 1844 which states that patents are granted "without screening, at the risk of applicants, and without warranty or of reality, novelty or merit of the invention, either fidelity or accuracy of the description. It has disappeared in 1968."